Been reading this book, and I thought that the introduction is pure FACT! Here is a wee snippet, and I shall endevour to put more of my notes up, as I continue to read.
Regardless of what your major aim will be, you will attain it with much less difficulty after you learn how to cultivate a pleasing personality and after you have learned the delicate art of allying yourself with others in a given undertaking without friction or envy.
One of the greatest problems of life, if not, the greatest, is that of learning the art of harmonious negotiation with others.
You cannot enjoy outstanding success in life without power, and you can never enjoy power without sufficient personality to influence other people to cooperate with you in a spirit of harmony.
- A definitive Chief Aim will teach you how to save the wasted effort which the majority of people expend in trying to find their lifework. You will learn to fix your heart and hand upon some definite, well conceived purpose as a lifework.
- SELF CONFIDENCE will help you master the six basic fears with which every person is cursed. The fear of poverty. The fear of ILL HEALTH. The fear of old age. The fear of criticism. The fear of loss of love of someone. The fear of Death. It will teach you the difference between egotism and real self- confidence which is based upon definite, usable knowledge.HABIT OF SAVING will teach you how to distribute your income systematically so that a definite percentage of it will steadily accumulate, thus forming one of the greatest known sources of personal power. No one may succeed in life without saving money. There is no exception to this rule, and no one may escape it.
- INITIATIVE AND LEADERSHIP will show you how to become a leader instead of a follower ub your chosen field of endeavour. It will develop in you the instinct for leadership which will cause you to gradually gravitate to the top in all undertakings in which you participate.
- IMAGINATION will stimulate your mind so that you will conceive new ideas and develop new plans which will help you in attaining the object of your Definitive Chief Aim. This lesson will teach you hiw ti “build new houses out of old stones”, so to speak. It will show you how to create new ideas out of old, well known concepts, and how to put old ideas to new uses. This one lesson alone, is the equivalent of a very practicall course in salesmanship, and it is sure to prove a veritable gold mine of knowledge to the person who is in interest.
- ENTHUSIASM will enable you to saturate all with whom you come in contact with interest in you and in your ideas. Enthusiasm is the foundation of a Pleasing Personality, and you must have such a personality in order to influence other to cooperate with you.
- SELF-CONTROL is the “balance wheel” with which you control your enthusiasm and direct it where you wish it to carry you. This lesson will teach you in a most practical manner, to become “the master of your fate, the Captain of your Soul”.
- THE HABIT OF DOING MORE THAN PAID FOR is one of the most important lessons of the Law of Success Course. It will teach you how to take advantage of the Law of Increasing Returns, which will eventually insure you a return in money far out of proportion to the service you render. No one may become a real leader in any walk of life without practicing the habit of doing more work, and better work, than that for which he is paid.
- PLEASING PERSONALITY is the “fulcrum” on which you must place the “crow bar” of your efforts, and when so placed, with intelligence, it will enable you to remove mountains of obtacles. This one lesson, alone, has made scores of Master Salesmen. It has developed leaders overnight. It will teach you how to transform your personality so that you may adapt yourself any environment, or to any other personality, in such a manner that you may easily dominate.
- ACCURATE THINKING is one of the important foundation stones of all enduring success. This lesson teaches you how to separate “facts” from mere “Information”. It teaches you how to organize known facts into two classes: The “Important” and the “Unimportant”. It teaches you how to determine what is an “important” fact. It teaches you how to build definite working plans, in the pursuit of any calling, out of FACTS.
- CONCENTRATION teaches you how to focus your attention upon one subject at a time until you have worked out practical plans for mastering that subject. It will teach you how to ally yourself with other in such a manner that you may have the use of their entire knowledge to back you up in your own plans and purpose. It will give you a practical working knowledge of the forces around you and show you how to harness and use these forces in furthering your own interests.
IF YOU MUST SLANDER SOMEONE DON’T SPEAK IT – BUT WRITE IT – WRITE IT IN THE SAND, NEAR THE WATER’S EDGE! Napoleon Hill.
- COOPERATION will teach you the value of team-work in all you do. In this lesson you will be taught how to apply the law of “Master Mind”. This lesson will show you how to coordinate your own efforts with those of others, in such a manner that friction, jealousy, strife, envy and cupidity will be eliminated. You will learn how to make use of all that other people have learned about the work in which you are engaged.
- PROFITING BY FAILURE will teach you how to make stepping stones out of all your past and future mistakes and failures. It will teach you the difference between “failure” and “temporary defeat”, a difference which is very great and very important. It will teach you how to profit from your own failures and the failures of other people.
- TOLERANCE will teach you how to avoid the disasterous effects of racial and religious prejudices which mean defeat for millions of people who permit themselves to become entangled in foolish argument over these subjects, thereby poisoning their own minds, and closing the door to reason and investigation. This lesson is the twin sister of the one on ACCURATE THOUGHT, for the reason that no one may become an Accurate Thinker without practicing tolerance. Intolerance closes the book of Knowledge and writes on the cover “Finis! I have learned it all!” Intolerance makes enemies of those who should be friends. It destroys opportunity and fills the mind with doubt, mistrust, and prejudice,
- PRACTICING THE GOLDEN RULE will teach you how to make use of this great universal law of human conduct in such a manner that you may easily get harmonious cooperation from any individual or group of individuals. Lack of understanding of the law upon which the Golden Rule philosophy is based is one of the majour causes of failure of millions of people who remain in misery, poverty, and want, all their lives. This lesson has nothing whatsoever to do with religion in any form, nor with sectarianism, nor have any of the other lessons of this course of the Law of Success.
The purpose of these Fifteen Laws is to develop or help you organize all the knowledge you have, and all you acquire in the future, so that you may turn this knowledge into POWER.
You should begin to teach these laws to those in whom you are most interested (see how much I am interested in you, dear reader?), as it is a well known fact that the more one tries to teach a subject, the more he learns about that subject. A man who has a family of young boys and girls may so indelibly fix these Fifteen Laws of Success in their minds that this teaching will change the entire course of their lives. The man with a family should interest his wife in studying this course with him, for reasons which will be plain before you complete reading this introduction.